I would like to welcome you and your family to East Torrens Primary, a small family friendly school where your child/children will enjoy learning and feel welcomed and accepted as part of a caring, supportive, challenging and rigorous learning environment.
As principal of such a dynamic and diverse school at East Torrens Primary School, I am keen to share with you our wonderful school community and learning environment. We have great teachers and an excellent school environment with large classrooms and adjoining open teaching spaces, beautiful grounds including a Nature play area, tennis courts, spacious gymnasium, a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) room, vegetable garden, large kitchen facilities and a range of digital learning tools.
We are a school where every student is valued as unique and we provide a learning environment that caters for 21st Century learners. Diversity is respected and valued at East Torrens Primary School. We have an inclusive environment where the needs of the individual are considered and catered for. Our school motto is “Building a Community of Successful Learners” and this applies equally to the individual, as well as to the collective group of students.
Literacy and Numeracy are high priorities along with STEM, challenging students in critical and creative thinking. Our teachers have been provided with intensive training and development through PLTs (Professional Learning Teams) with a strong emphasis on improving teacher skill and knowledge so that students become 'powerful learners', always striving to improve in all areas of learning. We continue to provide laptops for each student for use during school time to promote understanding and use of technology.
East Torrens promotes a safe and welcoming environment and students surveyed have reported that they feel this is a safe school with teachers who support and motivate them to learn and improve. Wellbeing of students is fostered through a full time school counsellor working with students to build their resilience and social skills. We have extensive lunch time programs for students and aim to make school an interesting and fun place to learn.
Highlights at ETPS include:
• Strong focus on Literacy, Numeracy & STEM
• Professional Learning Teams in Numeracy
• Attendance Policy "Attendance Matters"
• Anti-bullying strategies resulting in low bullying statistics across the school
• Robotics Program • Lego & Chess Club • Wheels Wednesday • Computing • Bike Ed
• Diverse Governing Council Committee reflective of our school community
• Senior Debating team
• Ann Baker & Tierney Kennedy - mathematicians working with teachers and students
• SRC• Swimming • Yr 6/7 Aquatics • Footsteps Dance
• First Language funding for Hindi, Punjabi, Chinese, Farsi, Arabic & Korean
• Extensive student participation in a range of SAPSASA sports & after school sports teams
I invite you to contact me to arrange a time to visit our school.
On behalf of the school community, I look forward to seeing you and your child/children at East Torrens Primary School.